A Little Bit by A Little Bit

Winter Wear © 2012 Amy Hillenbrand
24 x 12  oil on board
$615.00
Boy, painting was quite the experience, whew! I started out really liking my subject matter, quite excited to plow right into it. Then I got into it and it just wasn't turning out how I imagined in my mind and it just wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. One of the days I was working on it, I was really really frustrated, very unable to get into the flow. So I switched my mindset and said to myself, well, I will throw it out when I finish it; just paint without the thought it has to be perfect. So I did and low and behold I got out of my head and it flowed that day.  Since it is a little larger painting, I wasn't done it one day. It sat there at the easel for a couple days before I got up the gumption to paint again.  I really just wanted to give up and quit. But then I wasn't unable to do that either, I just can't leave something unfinished, because that would bug me too. So a little bit by a little bit, I finished it.  
As I look back going through the process, it is a lot like life. I have that initial excitement about something and then as I get into it - it starts to get a little challenging and sometimes I want to quit. Then when I let go of the outcome and just be okay with it, I can be in the flow taking it moment by moment.  As the next day comes, I may have to have a different strategy and a little bit by a little bit I keep moving forward. Anybody relate?






Follow Me on Pinterest 
 

Comments

  1. I've been there many a time! I think the "letting go" aspect is such an important component of the process. You've articulated it beautifully in your post. And your painting reflects it. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, great post as usual, wonderful message, and beautiful work! Yes, I can very much relate! This is the idea of putting one foot in front of the other, an ongoing process! Thank you so much for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I have finally found that I have to go into the painting without preconceived ideas, that if it doesn't turn out I can paint over it, and it really lets my brain be loose and in the moment of painting!! So freeing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous painting! So fresh and unique. Congrats for sticking with it - you would never know you had to "keep at it" as you described. Thanks for the encouraging words!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this - it's so well composed - right down to the red clothing pointing right down to the boots! YES, I can relate - spent last weekend just in that mode. But you persevered, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome and you really must have so much more patience than I could ever muster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great painting! and we've all been there, I think discipline to work through the hard times is what makes or breaks a true artist. You arwork is lovely~*~*~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts