Day 3 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days


Orange Gone Wild © 2013 Amy Hillenbrand
6 x 6 Oil on board
$100.00

About the Painting
These delightful little flowers are called Mexican Hat or Coneflower.  I picked these along the side of the road one day. If you haven't been to the Texas hill-country in the spring, you need to. It is brimming with wildflowers thanks to the wonderful Lady Bird Johnson. Her famous Wildflower 
Center is just 5 minutes from my home. The piece of road between my house and the center is a thick carpet of Bluebonnets, Indian Blanket, Texas Paint Brush, Yellow Flax, Prairie Verbena, and many others and of course the type you see above.  

Before I moved to Texas, I knew of Lady's Bird's name (who hasn't heard the name) and I knew she was President Johnson's wife. What I didn't know was how incredibly instrumental she was in the environmental movement.  One of my most favorite facts about this admirable First Lady was what she did for our highways.  This is something the younger generations really wouldn't know. When I was a kid we went on vacations in the family sedan traveling all our nations interstates. I remember driving into cities and seeing billboard after billboard and litter. It wasn't until I moved to Texas and I read Lady Bird's biography that I learned what she did to help clean that mess up. Now we enjoy the scenery without all those trashy signs. If you didn't see it in the 60's and 70's it is kind of hard to appreciate now. I thank her in my heart whenever I go on road trips. Read more about her and her wildflower center here.


Gremlin Report
BTW, the commitment phobic gremlins are playing nicely right now. If you have no idea what I'm talking about read this.

">

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts